Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Musings on speed by contester in training.

  • Speed is everything.
  • Dogs and kids love speed.
All of the above is true, but would speed be the most important feature of contesting?  You the reader may assume the faster you send and receive more QSOs you log.  True or maybe not.

OK... I think that I can copy 100% the calls and the numbers exchanged in CW contest.  Let's say I'm quite comfortable up to or around 30 words per minute. Faster than that my palms get sweaty and the error rate shoots up.
Using the Morse Runner by Alex VE3NEA I'm quite proficient... all calls and numbers in say 30 minutes run.  Immediately I have to ask myself several questions what happens in real contest:

Is my opposite about the same?
  • How the noise and interference on the band affects my and his speed?
  • Since we all give 599, how can he really hear me? Even if I'm copying 599.
  • How sort of antennas my opposite has at his disposal?
  • How is his and mine tiredness  affecting the exchange?
  • How are 70 years old ears performing today?
The above questions are quite tricky to answer.

Any comments?

cheers
Patrick VK2PN

No comments:

Post a Comment

The results of the Commonwealth contest were published.

  As I member of the team Australia 2, I was quite pleased with the result.